Accessible Page Links

Page Tools

Main page Content

Indigenous Veteran's Ceremony

​Zoe and Megan
Indigenous Veteran’s Ceremony by Zoe Rae.
The carriage rattles as we zoomed along the tracks.  It was Wednesday 27th of May and I, Zoe Rae, was on the train to the Indigenous Veteran’s Ceremony with my fellow school captain Megan Hicks.  To make the trip less boring we decided to chit-chat about dogs, skin, names and the State of Origin.
Once we arrived at our location we took our seats and waited for it to start.  At 11am we were welcomed to the ceremony.
After listening to various speeches and songs played by the band it was time for the wreath laying part.  Slowly, once our school’s name was called, Megan and I placed our flowers and returned to our seats.
Once it was all finished Megan suggested we eat some of the expensive food and I totally agreed.  Megan also though we should name all the ibises in the park but I backed out.  The names she came up with were Georgie, Freddy, Berty and Len.)  We then went back to the bumpy train for the ride home.  This time, however, we had an argument about what colour ‘the dress’ was and, after some serious negotiation, we played hangman (and she totally cheated!)
Indigenous Veteran’s Ceremony by Megan Hicks
On Wednesday 27th May the school captains Zoe and I, Megan, attend the 2015 Indigenous Veterans’ Ceremony.  We first had to get to the train station where Ms Rae bought the train tickets for us all (Mrs Hicks and Mrs Spiers came too.)  The train trip was pretty boring and the only thing that kept us occupied was talking about the State of Origin.
The ceremony was very good, in my opinion.  We first awaited the arrival of the Governor of Queensland’s representative.  Then the Catafalque Party mounted the shrine. We had a gracious welcome from Darren Curtis and the Acknowledgement of Country.  Padre John Dansie (an army chaplain) recited a prayer and then there was a great didgeridoo performance by Adrian Burragubba.  We then moved to the wreath laying ceremony where quite a few important people laid some big wreaths.  Finally it was our turn.  I held my breath and tried not to go red in the face in front of all those people.  A few other schools also laid wreaths and then we heard the Ode of Remembrance and the Last Post.  This was followed by the minute’s silence.
When the ceremony was over we had a delicious morning tea before travelling back to Bray Park on the train.